East Convention Level / East Ballroom A
Open to the Public
Everyone is invited to attend Discovery Day. Explore and enjoy the interactive, innovative and educational displays. Bring the whole family down to experience the intrigue and excitement of our industry, with interactive and educational displays that will engage both adults and children.
- Enjoy Free Cotton Candy, Popcorn, Hot Chocolate, Tea & Coffee.
- Below BC: Visit the Below BC Booth and learn about the local geology of BC with our hands on mineral, rock and fossil collection.
- Equity Exploration: Curious about what a day exploring for minerals looks like? We will have a mock-up exploration camp including a canvas tent, sleeping cot and other field gear, set up by Equity Exploration.
- Geological Survey of Canada: Learn about our national mineral resources and natural hazards from Canada’s oldest scientific agency, the Geological Survey of Canada. See how ground movement caused by earthquakes are measured with a demonstration seismometer.
- Moon Patrol VR: Experience the latest technological innovations in the mineral exploration and mining industry – fly over a mine site and go underground with Moon Patrol VR’s virtual reality experience!
- Women In Mining: Meet some of the female leaders in the mineral exploration industry while engaging in hands-on rock and mineral experiments.
- Yukon Dan: Have you ever wondered how to turn a pile of dirt into a pile of gold? Learn the trade secrets from a professional, award-winning gold panner, Yukon Dan, who will show you how to pan for gold in minutes.
- UBC’s Geering Up: Enjoy some hands-on science engineering and technology activities.
- Britannia Mine Museum: Learn about mine processing and water reclamation.
- Hang out with Spike: the Whitecap’s Mascot between 11am and 2pm.
- Port Moody Rock & Gem: Check out and learn about the beautiful rocks and gems on display.
Registration is not required for this event.
Fun for the entire family, come down to this FREE EVENT and learn about the importance of minerals and metals in our everyday lives.